Verne Macdonald’s Resume
Verne MacDonald holds her:
- Certified Kitchen Design Certificate (CKD), and her
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary) Math and Fine Arts
What is a certified kitchen designer?
A Certified Kitchen Designer (C.K.D.) is a person who has achieved accreditation from the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA)
In order to achieve a C.K.D., the following criteria must be met. The designer must have:
- Worked in the cabinet industry as a designer/sales person for at least 7 years or have equal formal education from a credited college or university and some field experience. [Verne has been a cabinet designer for 14 years as well as having a University degree (High School Teacher) and 2 years towards a Master’s degree in Environmental Design (Architecture).]
- Submitted letters of recommendation from an Architect, Builder and Client.
- Passed both academic and practical exams that cover a wide body of knowledge:
- Building Materials and Construction
- Kitchen Mechanical Systems
- Kitchen Equipment and Materials
- Kitchen Planning and Safety
- Design Principles and Practices
- Drawing and Presentation Standards
- Business Management
- Maintained a required number of hours of professional development within three year segments; keeping the designer updated as to new ideas, equipment and material in the industry.
For more information on the C.K.D. please visit the (NKBA) website.
Contributing factors leading to a successful career:
- Studying with prominent artists: (University of Calgary)
- Gordon Smith: Painting. His canvases are part of the permanent collection of Canadian Impressionists in the Canadian National Art Gallery.
- Penny Gouldstone: Design.
- Bob Steel: Graphics.
- Verne had a design piece shown in the Canadian National Art Gallery in 1965 and won a poster contest for the Alberta Association of the Canadian Institute of Planners in 1983.
- Teaching High School: Developing skills to help others realize their goals.
- Raising children: Learning how families function successfully in limited spaces.
- Educated by renowned architects: (University of Calgary.)
- Bob Kirby: Design of the built environment.
- Tang Lee: Structures and Environmental issues.
- Stan Stein: Philosophy related to Architecture.
- James Waugh: Sociology related to Architecture.
- Experiencing the Market Research industry: Learning effective interview skills through both qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Working with and learning from superior Kitchen Designers and business women in the industry:
- Pat Swalander C.K.D., C.B.D.: Owner of Heartwood Kitchen and Bath Design (Calgary).
- Bente Birkkjaer C.K.D.: Co-owner of Denca Distributors (Calgary).
- Participating in the National Kitchen and Bath Association executive (Prairie Chapter) as Vice-President of Education 1997 and Vice-President Communications 1998.
- Presently a member of the British Columbia National Kitchen and Bath Association; www.nkbabc.org